Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hummingbird totem

I learned a lot from this little exercise. i made hummingbird for a young friend whose totem at this time is the hummingbird. It is unfortunate that the photo after uploading no longer shows the iridescence n the neck beads.
They are in blue/green/violet and catch the light beautifully. Next time: I will leave lots of room around the square (or circle) of fabric I am working with so that I can use a hoop to stretch the fabric and have edges to turn under and pull to stretch and stitch. In not leaving this allowance it was difficult to pull the fabric taut. I ended up using batting for fill to make the fabric fir better. I do like the way the little wing tip extends beyond the framing circle. The clear beads below the wings indicate the flashing, almost invisible movement.
The painting is 5 1/2" in diameter.

2 comments:

Darla said...

I'd love to see this one up close and personal Rae. It's beautiful and I know the person it is intended for is going to be thrilled with it.

Darla

Walks with Wolves said...

Thank you again, for this wonderful gift. She proudly sits upon my altar. :) In the company of wolves and Sekhmet. *smiles*