Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Autumn thoughts


The last few days have been sunny and warm, indeed very lovely. Autumn making up for a summer that was scant and sparse. never-the-less it's autumness is apparent. I feel the Kore/Demeter aspect grabbing at my soul.

Suddenly two days ago, list be damned, I felt the need to examine and arrange cupboards. Noting duplicates, moving extras to the food and water storage area in the garage. I checked the fruit that I'd recently frozen and moved it to the back of the freezer with 06 and 07's produce to the front.

I remembered the message of mouse ad squirrel and smiled at the vision of their nearly frantic activities with that first hint of frost in the air. It's time to put the gardens to bed, to set up the greenhouse and move the still blooming tomatoes, chilies and eggplant pots to their waiting shelves. I'm getting ready for winter although I am very much a summer person. I feel the need this year, to slow down, to pull with in, to inventory the stack of waiting books, to change to the warmer bedding, replace the tablecloth and chair cushions. Summer is over whether it looks like it or not.

1 comment:

Darla said...

I like the time of change of all the seasons, the beginnings of a new one. We are pretty dry and dusty here right now. Of course in a few months we'll be wet and muddy and I'll be done with that too. But then along will come spring.

Darla